Thursday, January 17, 2019

Ghost story you killed me

Chapter 24
Kaleidoscopic scenes


"Mein agar payar karungi kisise
It will be kasam se for ever and ever."

Singing the song in her melodious voice, she looked at me eagerly. This was not a tourist season in Digha. The beach was empty, but there were a few people enjoying picnic in the nearby jhao forest. My voice had never been melodious, and I had very little idea about 'sur' and 'taal'. But, there was romance in the air which forced me to sing back,

"Main bhi agar dil dunga kabhi kisiko
That will be kasam se for ever and ever and ever."

I was supposed to be in an important election meeting for the entire day in Alipore, and she was supposed to be appearing for West Bengal Civil Service main examinations at Bhabanipur. But, we managed to make our way for this precious rendezvous in Digha.

"I will submit a medical certificate for the absence, but how will you manage?" I knew she was a good student, and her entire family expected her to crack the exam.

"Don't worry about that. They will never know it. Suhana is my best friend, and she will never tell them."

"But, what will happen to your career? Will you remain in this current petty post for ever?"

"When you are with me, do I have to think about these petty issues? Will you not take care of me?" She feigned anger in her voice.

"Of course, Honey! When I am there, you don't need to worry about anything in the world."

I was in no mood to spoil the romantic ambience that we were in. Love was in the air, I could smell it. Besides, I knew she was only 23, and this was her first attempt. I was sure she would crack the exam next time.

"But, can you convince your parents for this marriage? I think they are very orthodox." I had to ask as we moved towards the hotel.

"Of course, I will convince, but can you make sure that there will be no trouble from your end?"

"Oh, yes! My family believes in me, my word is the last word."

The answer was so convincing that she placed her arm around my shoulder. Even I myself didn't know how Sabina and I moved so close in only one month. I had known her because she was a temporary health employee in my block. Once, she had saved my life because of her presence of mind and foresight (read my pulse polio story here Tamrakshar's Universe : Pulse Polio Nightmare). Since then we fell in love with each other, and despite knowing how dangerous inter-religious affairs could be, we were unable to put breaks on our smooth-sailing love ship.

This scene vanished, and I saw a new scene. One day, Sabina came to my room looking very worried.

"What happened?" I signalled her to take a sit, and offered her a glass of water.

"The time has arrived Akshar! You have to act now." She finished the water at one go.

"I told you that I would act. But, what's the hurry?"

"We made a terrible mistake in Digha, Akshar. You are going to be a father."

"What? A father? That means you are pregnant?" I was more in shock than being happy at the prospect of siring an offspring!

"Don't shout! Someone may hear it. Tell me when are you going to marry?"

"When I promised you that I will marry you, I will keep my promise. But, you should abort this child. I will arrange everything."

"Akshar! How dare you tell me that? Sabina's face turned red, and she herself forgot to lower her voice, "The child is the product of our pure love. I will not destroy it. Will you marry me or not?"

That sounded like a kind of threat to me, and I said, "Okay, but have you told your father about our relationship?"

This time she turned down her eyes, "No. I got the news just today. I will go home and definitely tell today about our relationship. I cannot tell them about the child, though. But, we need to act fast, and give him the required sanctity by marrying as early as possible. Have you told your father?"

"Not yet, but that won't be a problem!" I assured her, and she left my chamber.

The scene vanished, and a new scene appeared.





To be continued​


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thriller The ultimate choice 58

  Episode 58 Rajan had the bitter experience of taking a forceful slap from Rod. At that time, he thought that Rod was the most powerful man...